Monday, March 17, 2008

Let the Training Begin

Training my new dog is a challenge.  It seems to me, the biggest challenge is taking in all of the information and processing it.  I know how she feels.  Not only is she getting a great deal of yes's and no's, I am as well.  Everyone has a different idea and everyone wants to tell me what that is.  Each has merit.  Each has been tried and has worked for someone, somewhere.  But mostly, they all involve teaching me how to help my dog understand what I want her to do.  

Funny how some things are easier than other to get across.  Sit, down, drop it, those were easy enough.  Actually, pretty much everything I have been consistent about running through with Devi has been successful.  

I am beginning to see a pattern of how she learns and how we teach one another.  It isn't all me teaching her.  Some things she shows me.  For instance, when she was upset at SplashDog while I was working with the clients in the beginning, I noticed that as she did calm down, she was laying under one of the chairs.  Aha!  Thanks Devi, for showing me a spot that made you more comfortable.  I put her bed there the next time we were in and she was much more calm during my sessions.  

One thing I notice with trainers is that they know about canine body language, pack behavior and how the dogs see us but I  think they sometimes miss the fact that the respect for one another includes taking some cues from the dogs.  

I don't want to train my dog to break her spirit or squelch the fun she has.  I admit, I like a spirited dog with a distinct, strong personality (I'll write about Abby sometime to exhibit just how much that is true;-).  I do need to teach her how to be polite all of the time and make sure she is safe, but training her to be submissive and subservient is not my goal.  

There is a balance and I am really confused at the moment as to how to reach it.  Together we will find that place and I am confident that Devi will be a great companion and happy girl for the long time we will have together. 

No comments: